Table of Contents
- 1 Best Picks for Progressive Reloading Press
- 2 How Does A Progressive Reloading Press Work?
If you are looking for the best tool to reload your ammo, then you need to find the best progressive reloading press. You may decide to purchase a single stage reloading press or a turret press, but they are not very efficient.
If you want to end up with more accurate rounds than the factory-grade ammo, we recommend that you reload your ammo. It will help you cut down on ammo expenses.
The best progressive ammo reloader will help you to get consistent results if you are careful with your reloading.
However, there are many choices in the market today, some of which do not meet the required standards. This is why we have compiled a list of the best progressive reloading press.
What is the Best Progressive Reloading Press?
It is important to note that the best progressive reloaders have 2 main characteristics. They are efficient and durable.
It should do more tasks at one stroke than a single stage reloading press. It should not limit you from doing multiple tasks at a time.
The best progressive press should be easy to use and comfortable especially if you want to use it for many hours.
Since you plan on using it for long hours, you should purchase a progressive press that is made from high quality materials. It must be durable and solidly built to last for a long time.
Best Picks for Progressive Reloading Press
Now that you know the benefits of owning a reloading press, let us review some of the best progressive reloading press for the money. They are very efficient and durable.1
The Hornady 095100 can reload up to 500 rounds per hour. This professional grade press includes 5 stations allowing you to handle multiple tasks. It is well equipped with many accessories for all your reloading needs.
This popular Lock-N-Load progressive reloading press includes automatic indexing, which offers smooth movement. It moves each of the 5 stations halfway on the upstroke and the rest of the way on the downstroke.
The quick-change bushing system allows you to transform the progressive reloading press from a 223 progressive reloading press to one that works on a .45 caliber round. Your purchase will include 5 bushings.
It also has a case-activated powder drop. This means that there has to be a cartridge case before it dispenses a powder charge.
- It can reload 500 rounds in a single hour
- It includes a large capacity hopper
- It includes a reliable eject system and auto indexing
Dillon Precision 14261
The Dillon Precision 14261 is capable of reloading more than 120 different calibers. It is made from high quality products to ensure the longevity of this tool.
It is a suitable choice if you are a beginner, as it includes 4 stations. It can handle a wide range of calibers but you need to purchase the proper die sets.
It is very easy to use but you need to practice so that you can gain more control over each step of the process. This is crucial to get precise rounds.
Once you buy all the accessories you need, it will be a “plug and play” model.
- It works extremely smoothly to provide you with the best results
- It is very affordable when compared to other progressive reloaders with the same features
- It is very easy to set up and can give you match-grade rounds
Lee Precision Load Master Reloading Rifle Kit
The Lee Precision Load Master Reloading Rifle Kit is made from high quality cast aluminum. The loadmaster is designed for a specific caliber, which ensures that you do not have to change each dies on every station.
It is designed for 9 different specific variants such as the 38 Special, 9mm Luger, and the 40 S & W.
The kit designed for the 9mm Luger includes the turret, the #19s shell plate, a powder measure, a universal case feeder, and a small primer feed. You are also provided with the Carbide 3-die set (Carbide Full Length Size, Powder Through Expanding, and Bullet Seating Dies)
It includes 5 stations that are very easy to use and you can get up to 300 rounds an hour if you are slow.
- It works extremely smoothly as compared to other progressive reloading presses in the market today
- It helps you to cut down on ammunition cost, as you can generate more than 300 rounds in an hour
- It is made from cast aluminum, which is both durable and lightweight
Dillon Precision XL 750
The Dillon Precision XL 750 is a 5 Station Progressive Loader that comes at an expensive price tag. However, it is packed with many features, but you have to purchase the accessories separately. This can increase the price by more than double for you to get a complete set.
You are provided with options like an electric case feeder, roller handle, strong mount, bullet tray, powder check die, low powder sensor, and die set.
It is an upgraded version of the XL-650. It is very easy to assemble, as it already comes mostly assembled already.
You are also provided with a caliber conversion kit. You can use it for pistol (like the 45 ACP) and rifle rounds (like the 223).
- It is made from high quality products, meaning that you will not have quality control issues
- It includes a fantastic case feeder that is reliable
- It includes a better priming system when compared to other progressive reloading kits
MEC 9000GN 12 Gauge Press
The MEC 9000GN 12 Gauge Press is specifically designed for the 12-, 16-, 20-, and 28-gauge and .410 bore. It is a major upgrade on the MEC 8567N Grabber. This means that all the features in the 8567N Grabber have been included here.
However, you are provided with auto indexing and automatic ejection of finished shells.
Your shells will be automatically transferred to different reloading stages with each stroke of the handle. This allows you to get precision crafted shells.
The indexing system is very quick and efficient, providing you with consistent results each time you use it.
- It saves you a lot of time and effort, as simple tasks like crimping and ejection are automated
- It is extremely fast and includes smooth automatic indexing
- It ensures that the shells are precision crafted
RCBS 9356 Rock Chucker Supreme Press
The RCBS 9356 Rock Chucker Supreme Press is made from high quality materials to ensure its longevity and durability. It is important to note that this is a single stage reloading press, but the Piggyback 4 conversion kit turns into a manual indexing multi stage reloading press with 5 stations.
The single stage version lets you reload 50 rounds an hour. However, if you include the conversion kit you increase that to at least 400 rounds an hour.
The assembly is a bit complicated especially for beginners, but you can remove and reinstall it as a single unit. You can also interchange the die plate for simple caliber conversion.
You can use it to reload all types of pistol rounds except the 25 auto. You can also reload rifle rounds up to the .30-06 Springfield.
- It can work on many pistols and rifle rounds
- It includes a great case activated powder dispenser
- It includes a universal case retention system and a safe APS priming system
Dillon Square Deal B Reloading Press 9mm
The Dillon Square Deal B Reloading Press 9mm is made from high quality products and is packed with many features. It comes with one caliber conversion and 4 different stations to work with.
The stations do everything from sizing brass to collecting your reloaded cartridges inside a box. The automatic indexing feature turns your plate each time you have to move onto the following stage.
You are provided with some accessories to begin reloading, which cuts down the overall cost you have to spend.
You can use this tool to crimp your loaded brass. The loaded brass is then ejected directly into a collecting box.
- It includes a priming system that features pickup tubes dedicated to both large and small primers
- It includes auto indexing that saves on time
- It includes some accessories and dies for reloading
Dillon Precision RL550
The Dillon Precision RL550 is an easy to use progressive reloader. You are required to learn the steps, but they are very simple. This makes the press friendly to beginners.
It includes a 4-stage progressive press that caters to around 120 different calibers for different firearms.
The first station is used for resizing, de-priming, and priming. The second one is for loading powder into the cartridge.
The third station is for setting the bullet into the brass. The last station is for crimping and ejection of the assembled ammunition.
The manual indexing system allows you to get about 400 to 600 rounds per hour.
The Dillon’s removable tool head saves time because it allows all of the dies to stay perfectly in place.
- It allows you to reload more than 120 different caliber types
- It allows you to get about 400 to 600 rounds per hour
- It allows you to change the shell plates to accommodate casings from different calibers
How Does A Progressive Reloading Press Work?
In this section, we will learn how a progressive reloading press works. But it is important to note that the working mechanism of a progressive reloading press depends on the model you’re using. They have different designs and operating processes.
It is worth mentioning that the operating process is the same for most of them. We recommend purchasing a progressive reloading press with 4 or 5 stations.
Each die can do a single task like removing a spent primer from a casing, resizing a casing to the right shape, putting in a new primer in a casing, dropping an exact amount of powder into a casing, and crimping a casing shut.
After pulling the handle, all of these tasks are done at the same time. The shell plate moves the round from one die to the next die each time you cycle the handle.
It is also important to note that as each round moves through to the next die, you can place a new one for the first station. This is when the round at the front of the line is ejected.
Benefits of Owning a Progressive Reloading Press
If you own any reloading press, you can cut down on costs, as you will end up with more rounds than buying the factory made ones. You can also hand load more accurate rounds.
However, if you own a progressive reloading press, you enjoy extra benefits. You can reload more rounds and this allows you to hone your shooting skills if you practice better. You will also save on more money, as factory rounds will cost you a lot more.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Progressive Reloading Press
By now, we are sure you have selected the best progressive reloading press. However, before you make your purchase, here are some of the factors you should consider before purchasing it:
- Brand Name – We recommend purchasing a progressive reloading press from the best brands in the market today. These popular brands are famous due to their reliability, quality, and innovative features. The products included in our list are from the best brands that have proven themselves over the years.
- Compatibility With Your Ammo – The progressive reloading press you buy should be designed to work with your ammo. We don’t recommend purchasing a shotshell reloader when you want to use it for rifles. However, if you own a large arsenal of firearms, we recommend purchasing a progressive reloading press that allows for quick caliber changes.
- Reloading Rate – You should check the figure regarding how many rounds per hour you should be able to get when using a reloading press. The number provided by the manufacturers might not be very accurate. We recommend checking the customer reviews so that you can get a realistic figure.
- Ease of Use – The reloading press you choose should be easy to use, especially if you are a beginner.
- Number of Stations – You should check the number of stations included. Each station is designed for a specific task. We recommend purchasing a progressive reloading station with 4 or 5 stations
- Available Accessories – It is important to check the number of accessories included. Some progressive reloading presses do not include them, meaning you have to purchase them separately. This might increase the overall cost. It is important to note that the accessories save on the time and effort used to reload your ammo.
- Indexing – Progressive reloaders with an automatic indexing feature are recommended as they save time. However, some people like progressive reloaders with manual indexing, as they are not complicated.
- Ejection System and Powder Management – The progressive reloader you choose should have a good powder management system to minimize spill and waste. It ensures you have the correct amount of powder. A good ejection system makes sure that the bullets are ejected cleanly.
It is true that you will save a lot of time and cut down on costs when you use a progressive reloading press.
If you are still having a hard time choosing the perfect reloader, we recommend the Dillon Precision XL 750 if you have the budget. You are required to purchase all the accessories separately, but in the end, it is a good investment.
Remember to always clean the accessories after use and lubricate the moving parts at least once a year.