If you want to become the best reloader, we recommend having the best reloading manual with you. This ensures that you know what you have to do.
Even if you have acquired the best reloading presses that include the finest accessories, you still need a reloading manual that tells you how to reload your ammo properly and safely.
If you are a beginner, you need a manual to guide you. Even experienced reloaders require a manual to hone their skills.
It is worth mentioning that there are many reloading manuals in the market today. You may be overwhelmed with the choices. This is why we compiled a list of the best reloading manuals on the market today.
But first, let us discuss the importance of having a reloading manual.
Best Reloading Manual Comparison Table
|1 Hornady 99240 Handbook 10th Edition
|2 Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Manual
|3 LEE PRECISION Modern Reloading 2nd Edition
|4 The ABCs of Reloading
|5 The Beginner’s Guide to Reloading Ammunition
|6 Berger Bullets – Reloading Manual 1st Edition
|7 Speer Bullets Manual 15th Edition
|8 Nosler Reloading Manual 8th Edition
|9 Lyman Long Range Reloading Manual
|10 Pet Loads Complete Volume
Importance of Having a Reloading Manual
For some gun enthusiasts, buying the best ammo reloading book might seem unnecessary because the internet is available.
It is important to note that reloading your ammo requires a lot of experience and accuracy.
Here are some of the important reasons for having a reloading manual:
- Knowing What to Do – Purchasing a quality manual provides you with information on how you can reload your own ammo. If you are a beginner, you should buy a manual to learn how to get accurate and consistent results each time you reload your own ammo. It is worth mentioning that you are working with gun powder. If you put too much, it can explode.
- Trusted Source of Information – Some tutorials and videos on the internet may not provide you with the correct information. These dubious sources believe that their opinions and uneducated guess are facts. This is why you need a trusted source like a reloading manual. They are double checked by editors and fact finders to provide you with trustworthy information.
Let’s have a look at some of the best reloading manuals in the market today. They are the most reviewed and are the best selling.
Hornady 99240 Handbook 10th Edition
The Hornady 99240 Handbook 10th Edition includes over 1200 load combinations that are constantly updated. It includes more than 1000 pages of load data for over 200 different calibers.
It provides you with information on the SST, V-MAX, A-MAX, Interbond, Interlock, and XTP. You also get information on new Hornady powders and bullets, like the ELD-X and ELD Match bullets.
If you are a beginner, you would love the “how to” section. It includes complete instructions on reloading and especially about the crucial safety precautions.
The load data included in this manual are extremely accurate and cover pistol and rifle rounds.
- It is written in a way that is easy to understand
- It includes data on how you can reload the pistol and rifle rounds
- It includes several safety instructions when handling reloading equipment
Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Manual
The Lyman 50th Edition Reloading Manual continues to become popular among reloading enthusiasts because it includes the largest selection of bullets, cast bullets, and powders from all major manufacturers.
The brand behind this product has been around for the last 130 years. This means that the information you shared in this manual has been double checked by experienced editors and fact checkers.
If you are a beginner the how-to-reload tutorial will be extremely helpful. Each step is explained carefully to the last detail.
This manual is written by the best gun writers and firearms experts. It covers topics like assessing barrel conditions, advanced case preparation, and even the use of ballistic coefficient.
- It covers each and every step of reloading
- It includes information on how you can reload different bullet brands including cast bullets
- The information provided is from a trusted source that tests and generates the data themselves
LEE PRECISION Modern Reloading 2nd Edition
The LEE PRECISION Modern Reloading 2nd Edition manual is a great choice if you own pistol rounds and you like using the Lee Precision reloading kit.
This manual is suitable for beginners, as a majority of the topics included contain basic information. The first 200 pages or so after the loading data, provide you with information on how to use the reloading tools, how to choose powders, how to set up your dies, and other similar topics.
It covers more than 167 cartridges and load data that comes from the other companies. You are also provided with data on casting bullets, which other manuals may not offer.
It is easy to read and includes tabs that let you find specific info quickly. You are provided with high-quality illustrations and graphics to help you understand the concepts clearly.
- It is a suitable choice for people who reload pistol or handgun cartridges
- It covers almost all of the basic topics for beginners
- It is a great choice if you’re considering Lee precision bullets
The ABCs of Reloading
The ABCs of Reloading is a “how to” manual that helps to broaden the understanding of the shooting and reloading process.
This manual doesn’t give you load recipes and calculations. If you are a beginner, you can get any of those manuals, and then the ABCs of Reloading will complement the information on those manuals.
It provides you with the technical data and knowledge you may need.
If you do not have any reloading equipment, this is a good start. You are provided with thorough explanations of cartridges and their various components you may need for reloading.
- It includes a lot of safety precautions when reloading your ammo
- It is easy to understand
- It is suitable for a beginner, as it includes all the basic topics
The Beginner’s Guide to Reloading Ammunition
The Beginner’s Guide to Reloading Ammunition is an Amazon kindle edition manual that is perfect for newbies.
It includes explanations for ideas, terms, and other reloading aspects that are other manuals assume you know. You are provided with easy to understand explanations about bullets, primers, cartridge cases, and gunpowder.
The main purpose of this article is to help beginners to have a better idea of what reloading presses and accessories to buy.
It ensures that you are familiar with the reloading process and why each step is important.
- It includes all the basic stuff that other manuals assume you know
- It is very easy to understand
- It is suitable for beginners who own a shotgun
Berger Bullets – Reloading Manual 1st Edition
The Berger Bullets is an 829 page manual that is packed with information on how you can reload more than 70 of the most popular centerfire rifle cartridges used today.
It includes technical articles on a wide range of subjects that are extremely helpful especially for beginners.
The “Handloading Basics” chapter includes information that is great for many shooters.
However, it is important to note that this guide is not very deep, as most parts cover the basic topics.
It does not include any load data for anything above .30 cal. Tt only covers the Berger bullet range.
- It includes information on over 70 rifle cartridges
- It is packed with technical articles from experts
- It is suitable for beginners who want to cover the basics of reloading
Speer Bullets Manual 15th Edition
The Speer Bullets Manual 15th Edition continues to be popular, as it provides you with comprehensive data on almost every powder currently available.
This 956-page includes data on more than 120 rifle cartridge types. If you are a newbie, you will love the 6 pages of new data on the 6.5 Creedmoor, plus data on 12 other new cartridge types.
You are provided with a guide to automating the reloading process, the common pitfalls of reloading, and troubleshooting techniques.
We recommend this manual because it features data on the most popular rounds today. It also includes reloading recipes for new Gold Dot rifle bullets.
- It is a complete guide to reloading techniques and concepts
- It includes data on over 120 cartridge types including 13 new cartridges
- It is suitable for beginners
Nosler Reloading Manual 8th Edition
The Nosler 8th Edition is a 800-page reloading manual that was published in 2016. It is easy to understand and includes outstanding graphics and a clear layout.
This manual is designed to offer you the best reading experience.
The unique feature of this manual is the how-to section that is suitable for beginners. This informative guide will help you to hone your reloading skills.
It is packed with many explanations of different types of bullets and powders, and the reasons why you should choose each one.
However, this manual primarily focuses on its own products.
- It is easy to read
- It includes a ‘’how to’’ guide that is perfect for beginners
- It includes detailed explanations and recommendations
Lyman Long Range Reloading Manual
The Lyman Long Range Reloading Manual is a perfect choice if you want to get started with long precision shooting. We also recommend it for target shooters.
It features outstanding articles from top PRS shooters and industry experts to help newbie and expert reloaders to fine-tune their hand loads for the best long-range performance.
It contains helpful information on the Precision Rifle Series and Extended Long Range competition shooting.
However, it is not as detailed as most of the other manuals included in this article.
- It is a great choice for target shooters
- It is easy to read as it has been double checked by industry experts
- It includes helpful information about pressure and velocity data
Pet Loads Complete Volume
The Pet Loads Complete Volume is a comprehensive manual that is packed with helpful information for beginners.
It includes loading procedures, tips, and precautions you should take when you are reloading your ammunition. It includes details of over 150 cartridges and different tables.
The exceptional feature of this guide that it mainly focuses on precautionary measures, which are useful for beginners and experienced shooters.
The explanations provided are very helpful.
- It is a complete guide to reloading
- The information included is double checked by industry experts
- It contains detailed explanations of every load
Factors You Should Consider Before Buying a Reloading Manual
Before purchasing the best reading manual, you should consider some important factors. They include:
- The Publisher and Author – You should only purchase reloading manuals from recognized manufacturers who have experience in dealing with ammunition or reloading equipment. We recommend using the ones that have been published or written by companies and experts with excellent credentials.
- Caliber Coverage – The reloading manual is yours. Therefore, you need to purchase a reloading manual that contains information on the calibers you use. We recommend choosing a manual that contains a wide coverage of different calibers.
- Coverage of Other Topics – You need to purchase a reloading guide that covers the topics you need. Some manuals contain various articles regarding different aspects of reloading and shooting. These topics are important for your overall understanding of shooting.
- Writing Style – You should pick a reloading book that contains information that is displayed in an easy to read format. It should be enjoyable to read especially if you are a beginner. We recommend using the ones that provide you with safety tips.
It is important to note that the best reloading manual should contain accurate information and safety tips.
By now you’ve selected the best reloading manual depending on your needs. You should buy a manual that delves deeper into certain topics and their info can truly broaden your knowledge.
We recommend starting a library to include all the manuals that cover the important topics.
If you are still unsure, the Lyman reloading manual is the best option for you, as it includes accurate data on multiple calibers. If you are a newbie, try out The Beginner’s Guide to Reloading Ammunition.