If you are searching for the best tactical 2 way radio for the money, you are in the right place. In today’s buying guide, we will review some of the best options available in the market today. In addition, we will share some of the important factors you should keep in mind when buying the best tactical radio.
When it comes to survival situations or hunting as a team, communication is very important. Most hunters and hikers may be familiar with or aware of compact radios available today. However, not all of them understand the capabilities and limitations of radio communications. This is why we created this guide to help you find the best tactical 2 way radio available today.
It is important to invest in a tactical radio if you are exploring new terrain, tracking down a target, or if you are going to a place that is out of cell range. This will ensure that you can always communicate with your crew.
However, it is important to note that not all tactical radios are the same. Each one comes with different features and this may overwhelm some enthusiasts. This is why we created this guide to help you maintain a tactical advantage.
Types of Two Way Radios
It is important to note that there are different types of tactical radios. The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) governs the airwaves depending on the purpose of the radio.
We recommend sticking to the radio types we will share if you do not want strangers chirping in while you are relaying specific or sensitive information. Sticking to the proper radio types ensures that the transformation you transmit is entirely secure.
Here are the most common types of two-way radios for outdoor adventures:
- CB Radio – This type of radio is commonly found in vehicles found in the industry, farming, and logging industry. They have 40 channels and we highly recommend them because they are reliable over long ranges. CB radios have been around for a while and they allow instant, line of sight communication. This makes them a reliable choice for hunters and shooters.
- FRS/GMRS – Family Radio Service/General Mobile Radio Service is a popular radio that is commonly found in outdoor supply stores. It is commonly used for hunting because it works effectively at varying distances. Hunters, shooters, and outdoor enthusiasts commonly use these radios because they can operate on the 14 channels assigned to the FRS and 9 channels set aside for GMRS.
- MURS – Multiple User Radio Service can transmit using 2 watts, giving you a bit more range. This is four times the output of FRS radios. It is ideal for personal or business use. Most enthusiasts recommend this type of radio because you can also program privacy codes to help prevent interference on crowded channels. In addition, there are no licensing requirements needed to operate this type of tactical radio.
Now that you know the different types of tactical radios available today. Let us look at the best tactical 2 way radios in the market today.1
Cobra MR Handheld Floating VHF Radio – Best Overall
The Cobra MR handheld floating VHF radio is the best tactical 2 way radio that is made of high-quality materials to ensure it lasts for a long time. It features a tough exterior that is designed to float on water.
Most outdoor enthusiasts recommend this radio because of its handheld design and tough exterior. In addition, it features prominent dials and a rigid antenna, which gives the six-watt VHF system a wide range.
This radio features a backlit LCD screen to display the volume, radio station, and other helpful metrics. You will also like the noise-canceling microphone that removes any background noise when communicating with your crew.
It is very easy to use this radio because of the intuitive buttons on the side. This makes it a reliable radio for emergencies.
We recommend this radio because it provides you with the ability to access American, Canadian, and international bandwidths.
- It features a backlit LCD screen
- It features a noise-canceling microphone
- It can float on water
Motorola T100 Talkabout Radio
The Motorola T100 Talkabout radio is another excellent option for radio communication. It features a simple and lightweight design, making it very convenient. This two way radio weighs a quarter-pound and comes in a set of two.
The most outstanding feature of this radio is that it can access 22 channels. It is designed to relay communication between all types of FRS and GMRS radios.
It has a reasonable range allowing you to move while you speak. It features a blue color that is very easy to spot.
This radio is designed for both experienced and less-experienced radio users. It features push-button controls paired with a crisp LCD screen.
We recommend this radio because of the moderately sized antenna and standard structure. In addition, it is very affordable.
- It is cheaper when compared to other models
- It can access 22 channels
- It is very easy to use
Retevis RT19 Walkie Talkie for Adults
The Retevis RT19 is a two pack walkie talkie that can work in almost any environment. The 1,300 mAh battery that powers this radio is temperature-resistant. This battery can last upwards of 14 hours after charging.
It is worth mentioning that this radio is compatible with RT22 radios within its range. It is equipped with five communication channels and you can access 22 separate channels.
The sturdy antenna allows you to get clear and crisp audio. This makes it a reliable radio for hunting applications.
The rugged design of this radio ensures it will stay for a long time. It is very secure and meets all the FCC criteria.
- It comes with earpieces for stealth mode
- It features a 1,300 mAh battery
- It meets all the FCC criteria
Pxton Rechargeable Walkie Talkies
The Pxton rechargeable walkie talkies is another excellent 2 way radio that you need to include in your survival kit. It is one of the best rechargeable radios available in the market today.
This UHF radio system lets you communicate back and forth at varying distances. This is because it is compatible with frequencies between 400 and 470 megahertz.
In addition, it connects to 16 channels, but you can program it for quicker results. It is worth mentioning that the VOX control works together with the scanner to allow you to speak clearly. You do not have to worry about interruptions.
Your purchase comes with earpieces and clips for hands-free use. This makes it a great choice for emergencies.
The battery fitted in this radio can last up to 12 hours with ongoing use and 96 hours without. In addition, this five-watt can reach as far as three miles in open spaces.
- It features VOX control and a scanner
- It can be programmed for quick results
- It connects to 16 channels
Midland Long-Range FRS Two Way Radio
If you are looking for a reliable radio for exploring places without cell service, the Midland long-range FRS two-way radio is an excellent choice for you. It is packed with many features to ensure you stay connected with your crew.
It is important to note that this three pack radio can work completely noiseless. It allows you to access 36 channels, including the NOAA weather alert station. This is very important if you want to explore rugged terrains.
This radio adheres to privacy standards and allows you to choose from thousands of frequencies. It ensures your communication is secure, even at extended ranges.
It features a compact design that is very easy to store and transport. You can attach it to your belt or pocket using the belt clip.
Most enthusiasts recommend this radio because of its durable construction. It is also water resistant, allowing you to use it effectively, even in low light conditions.
Your purchase comes with rechargeable batteries. However, you can carry an extra pack if you want to use it on a lengthy trip.
- It features a waterproof construction
- It can access 36 different channels
- It is very easy to use
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Tactical 2 Way Radio
As you have seen, there are many tactical radios available in the market today. They are packed with many features to help you communicate with your crew.
In this section, we will share some of the important factors you should keep in mind to help you make a well informed purchase. It is important to invest in a two way radio if you are a hunter or in the transportation industry.
Here are the important factors:
- Type – It is important to consider how you plan to use the radio. In addition, you need to identify the bandwidth to get the most value out of it. It is worth mentioning that some types of two way radios require a license to operate.
- Range – When buying any tactical radio, it is important to check the wattage because it is directly related to the range. If the power supply is high, the signal will travel a long distance. GMRS radios have a high wattage compared to FRS radios.
- Number of Channels – We highly recommend checking the number of channels you can access. This is very important if you will use it for emergencies.
- Radio Structure – It is important to check the construction of the radio you buy. It should be durable and waterproof to ensure it lasts for a long time. You should also check the LCD screen and the controls. It should be easy to use and should have received FCC approval.
- Power Source – We highly recommend buying a radio with a reliable battery that will last for a long time.
In this buying guide, we have reviewed the best tactical radios available in the market today. They are very affordable and come with intuitive functions to help you communicate with your crew.
They are manufactured reputable digital sources that have provided information on various features expected of two-way radios. They are made of durable materials to ensure they last for a long time.
However, it is important to note that two-way radios are regulated. This means that you need to get familiar with FCC guidelines. In addition, you need to check the licensing required depending on the service you choose.
We hope that this guide helped you to find the best tactical 2 way radio.