If you are a Coyote hunter, it is important to buy a scope that is compatible with your rifle and cartridge. In today’s buying guide, we will share the important features of the best .223 scopes for coyote hunting.
The .223 cartridge is one of the popular rifle cartridges used for Coyote hunting. Most enthusiasts recommend this rifle cartridge because of its accuracy, affordability, and versatility.
The .223 rifle was designed for varmint hunting. It uses cartridge technology, and this is where the name 223 was derived from.
This rifle cartridge is capable of dropping a coyote in its tracks from varying ranges. It is an excellent choice if you like hunting on the pains or in wide open fields.
In addition, you can use it to control varmint invasion because it is very lightweight but packs a punch. The .223 cartridges are very small when compared to other bullets used in rifles like the .308 Winchester.
Coyote hunting has become one of the best hobbies for most hunters and shooters. For you to get the best experience, you need to pair the .223 with a bolt action rifle.
It is worth mentioning that hunting a coyote is not an easy task. This is because they are very smart and can easily escape ranging from 600 yards. This means that you need to have an optical system that will help you shoot it from an extended range.
Best 223 Scope for Coyotes
The best 223 Scope for Coyote Hunting is the Vortex Optics Viper HS-T 6-24×50. This scope It features a second focal plane reticle, meaning that the reticle’s scale maintains the same ideally-sized appearance.
However, it is important to first define your requirements to make the selection process easy for you. This will ensure that you get the right scope that is compatible with your rifle.
For example, if you are using a bolt action rifle, you need a scope that has enough clearance to easily work the action and chamber a new round. In addition, it should have a high magnification, which is required for long-range shots.
Without wasting much time, let us look at the best .223 scopes for coyote hunting.
Vortex Optics Viper HS-T 6-24×50 SFP – Best Overall
This versatile scope can be used for target shooting and tactical shooting as well. It features a convenient, fast focus eyepiece that allows the shooter to adjust the reticle for clear vision easily.
The optics provide you with excellent color fidelity and resolution even at the highest magnification level. In addition, the proprietary coatings increase light transmission, allowing you to use them in almost any lighting situation.
The exceptional feature of this scope is the precision force spring system. This system ensures maximum repeatability and ease of adjustment. In addition, the precision glide erector system ensures the components in the zoom lens mechanism glide smoothly and cleanly.
Most .223 rifle cartridge enthusiasts recommend this scope because it is constructed from durable material that can withstand recoil and impact. However, it is expensive, but it is packed with premium features.
- It features repeatable turret adjustments
- It includes O-ring seals that prevent water from penetration into the scope
- It features a rugged, one-piece tube construction for enhanced performance
Primary Arms SLX 1-6×24 – Best Budget
If you want to buy an affordable .223 scope for coyote hunting, the Primary Arms SLX 1-6×24 is a solid choice for you. It features quality optics that provides you with clear vision across all the magnification levels.
This scope works well for a .223 cartridge because it offers generous eye relief. It also features a forgiving eye box that offers a wide field of view. This allows you to shoot targets quickly, even with both eyes open.
Most coyote hunters recommend this scope because you can use it in almost any lighting condition. This is because it features a red illumination with 11 different brightness settings. This allows you to use your firearm effectively from dusk until dawn.
It is important to note that this scope is designed in the second focal plane. This means that the reticle size remains the same across all the magnification levels.
This scope is constructed from a 6063 aluminum alloy to withstand powerful impact and recoil. It does not compromise on quality and will provide real value for the money you spend.
- It features an exclusive, patented Advanced Combined Sighting System (ACSS) 22LR reticle
- It is constructed from sturdy material that can withstand impact and recoil
- It features a pare reticle illumination battery compartment
Vortex Optics Crossfire II 4-12x44mm Dead-Hold BDC (MOA) Reticle Riflescope
The Vortex Optics Crossfire II 4-12x44mm is a reliable scope for the .223 cartridge because it comes with a dead hold BDC reticle.
This feature ensures that the reticle incorporates special holdover points along the bottom vertical line of the crosshairs. It removes any guesswork by allowing you to estimate where your bullet will land.
The exceptional feature of this powerful scope is that it includes a second focal plane reticle that you can use for estimating range, holdover, and wind drift correction even at the highest magnification.
It includes a set of capped reset, finger-adjustable windage, and elevation turrets. The turrets are very easy to use. The 40mm objective lens gathers up light to provide you with a clear image like most high-end rifle scopes.
The scope offers a good mounting latitude that is adequate for most rifles. It is a high quality scope with a magnification range between 4x and 12x. This is perfect for medium to close range shooting applications.
- The hard anodized finish provides a low glare matte surface that helps to camouflage your shooting position
- The nitrogen gas purging prevents internal fogging over a wide range of temperatures
- It is very affordable but includes many features
Simmons 8-Point 3-9x50mm Rifle Scope
The Simmons 8-Point 3-9x50mm Rifle Scope is one of the best scopes for bolt action rifles using a .223 cartridge. This scope is packed with many features for the price.
The most outstanding feature of this scope is the QTA eyepiece that allows quick target acquisition. This feature makes it an ideal choice for hunting and tactical shooting applications.
In addition, this scope features fully coated optics for optimal brightness. This allows you to use your rifle effectively in almost any lighting condition.
The magnification of this scope ranges from 3-9X, which is ample for the .450 Bushmaster bolt action. It also offers effortless adjustments for its ¼ MOA SureGrip. This allows you to adjust the windage and elevation.
The single piece tube is constructed from durable materials to ensure that it lasts for a long time, even after continuous use. The fog-proof performance allows you to use your rifle effectively in a wide range of shooting applications.
Before buying this scope, you should know that it is bulkier than most models with the same features.
- It features true zero windage and elevation adjustment
- The one-inch solid tube is durable
- It is recoil-proof and shockproof
Bushnell Banner 3-9×40 Dusk & Dawn Circle-X Reticle
The Bushnell Banner 3-9×40 is another great .223 scope for coyote hunting. This scope will provide you with a wide 3-9X magnification range, which is suitable for Coyote hunting ad close to mid range distances.
Both beginners and experienced shooters can use this scope to improve their accuracy and precision. It is very easy to use and will deliver high-definition clarity.
The exceptional feature of this scope is the quick-focus eyepiece. It allows you to see your target without any difficulty.
You can also use windage and elevation adjustments, especially when hunting. This eliminates any guesswork, allowing you to use your rifle efficiently.
This scope features a beautiful and durable design. The durable construction ensures that the scope lasts for a long time, even after continuous use.
- The fog proof construction allows you to use the rifle in a wide variety of temperatures
- It features a durable construction
- It features a quick focus eyepiece
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Scope for Coyote Hunting
It is important to note that coyotes are sneaky and very fast. This is why coyote hunting is a thrilling hobby for some hunters.
However, for you to have a successful hunt, we recommend that you pair the .223 rifle cartridge with a good scope. The best .223 scopes for coyote hunting will help you hone your precision and accuracy skills.
To help you make a good choice, we have compiled the important factors you need to consider when buying a top-rated .223 scopes for coyote hunting available on the market today.
- Lens Size – It is important to check the lens size of the scope you want to purchase. Anything below 32mm will reduce the quality of the sight picture. If it is larger than 40 or 42 mm, it is too bulky for your rifle. It is important to note that you need a scope with a lightweight design. Heavy optics, will throw it off balance and this will affect your hunting or target shooting experience.
- Price – It is important to buy a scope that will provide you with real value for the money you spend. You need to buy a high-quality scope that will provide you with a relentless performance each time you use it.
- Lens Coating – The lens coatings are very important for light transmission. The scope you buy should include proprietary coatings if you want to see a clear image across all the magnification levels. In addition, these coatings help to reduce glare and loss of light caused by reflection.
- Weatherproofing – We recommend purchasing a waterproof scope that can handle everything nature throws at it. You should be able to use your scope in foggy conditions.
- Versatility – We highly recommend purchasing a versatile scope that is ideal for both hunting and tactical shooting applications.
- Reticle – It is important to check the reticle of the scope you purchase. Large reticles are great for low-light shooting applications. On the other hand, thinner reticles allow you to be more precise but are difficult to use in low-light conditions. Therefore, you need to pick a reliable scope with a good reticle to provide you with a relentless performance at varying distances.
- Eye Relief – This is the space between the sighting tool and your eye. You need to purchase a scope with eye relief that can be adjusted based on the magnification. This helps to prevent a black eye from heavy recoil generated.
- Durability – The scope you buy should be constructed from durable materials to ensure its longevity. This ensures that they last for a very long time. In addition, durable scopes can withstand powerful recoil and impact, even after continuous use.
Choosing the best 223 scopes for coyote hunting can be a daunting task, especially if you are a beginner. This is why we created this buying guide to help you narrow down your search.
We recommend buying a scope with a high-quality bullet drop compensator reticle and clear hash marks. This will help you focus over long ranges, allowing you to deliver as many kills regardless of the distance.
These scopes are very easy to use and will provide you with the best shooting experience, even in low lighting situations. In addition, you will be able to use your scope in almost any climatic condition.
We hope that this guide helped you to find the right scope for your hunting expeditions.