Table of Contents
- 1 Best Ammo for 300 Win Mag Comparision Table
- 2 5 Best 300 Win Mag Ammo
- 3 Types of .300 Win Magnum
- 4 Factors to Consider When Buying the Best 300 Win Mag Ammo
- 5 Conclusion
Are you searching for the best .300 Winchester Magnum ammo for hunting deer, elk, and other animals? Read on, as we will share some of the best options available in the market today. We will also look at some of the tips you need to keep in mind when choosing ammo for the best 300 win mag ammo.
It is important to note that the .300 Winchester Magnum is specifically designed for hunting applications.
This popular hunting ammo is very accurate and is capable of taking out large games beyond 1000 yards.
It is also ideal for target shooting, law enforcement, and sniping. This is because it delivers accurate and precise results.
It is an all round cartridge that is bigger than the popular .30-06 and .308 Winchester cartridges.
To get the best shooting experience, you need to buy ammo from a recognized brand. If you do a quick search on the internet, you will find many brands that sell .300 Win Mag ammo.
Some enthusiasts, especially beginners, may have a hard time searching for the best ammo because of the sheer number of options you need to go through. This is why we created this guide to help you narrow down your search.
Best Ammo for 300 Win Mag Comparision Table
|1 Nosler Trophy Grade|
|2 Barnes Vor-Tex|
|3 Federal Premium VITAL-SHOK|
|4 Remington Core LOKT|
|5 Hornady Match 195 gr|
5 Best 300 Win Mag Ammo
By the end of this guide, you will be able to choose the best .300 Win Mag ammo that will deliver value for the money you spend. We have included the top most brands that reload products accurately and reliably.
We recommend these options for hunters. This is because it works well with big games like elk, moose, and other large African games. They are accurate and very precise.
Before we look at the reviews, it is important to learn more about the different types of .300 Winchester Magnum.
Types of .300 Win Magnum
It is worth mentioning that magnum calibers are well-engineered rounds. They cost three times the price of an average .223 Rem. They are pricey but they definitely deliver value for the money you spend.
They are not designed for casual plinkers. You need to choose one depending on the type of gun you are using.
Here are the different types:
- Soft Point – This prolific bullet type can be either boat-tail or flat-based. It delivers a considerable amount of energy and velocity.
- Hollow Point – These high-powered magnums are reserved for accuracy and match usage only. They are more of a divot and less of a traditional hollow point.
- Nosler Accubond – This type is very accurate and has a lethal impact. This is because it uses a unique bonding process to create a stable flight path.
Now that you know the different types of the .300 Win Mag, let us look at some of the top brands that manufacture this ammo.
Nosler Trophy Grade – Best Overall
This budget friendly option is specially designed for serious heavy hitters. It has a muzzle velocity of 2,950 fps and a bullet weight of 180 grains. This makes it a perfect choice for moose, elk, or bear hunting. It also works well for medium games like deer.
It is important to note that the Nosler Trophy Grade is an AccuBond type of bullet. This ammo is bonded to a copper jacket to eliminate any separation. This type of bullet offers a great combination of both accuracy and performance.
It is worth mentioning that this model does not have the flattest trajectory. However, it retains energy very well.
We recommend this product because it has proven a track record over many decades. It will deliver reliable performance at a reasonable range.
- It has a muzzle velocity of 2950 fps
- It has a bullet weight of 180 grains
- It has a length of 1.38 inches
- It is bonded to a copper jacket
Barnes Vor-Tx – Best Value
Barnes bullets are mostly used for target shooting and hunting applications. This company has produced some of the best .300 Win Mag cartridges. One of the most outstanding cartridges they have produced is the Barnes Vor-Tex TTSX magnum, which comes with many innovative features.
The exceptional feature is that it is copper tipped. It is specifically designed for deep penetration. At the same time, it retains its weight and has rapid expansion.
This model is available in three outstanding choices namely 150 grain, 165 grain, or 180 grain. We recommend the 180-grain load for bear, elk, and moose hunting. The 165-grain load is ideal for bigger deer and bears. On the other hand, the high-velocity 150-grain load is ideal for small deer and pronghorn hunting.
Most enthusiasts recommend these loads because they are made of pure copper. This means that you can use them in states like California, where lead bullets are illegal.
Most hunters recommend the Barnes Vor-Tex ammunition because of the flat trajectory. In addition, the extra fps helps to minimize their holdover for a longer shot.
- It has a muzzle velocity of 3210 ft/s
- It has a ballistic coefficient of .442
- It has a bullet weight of 165 grain
- It is made of pure copper
Federal Premium VITAL-SHOK
If you are looking for a high quality alternative to Barnes bullets. Their ammunition provides a destructive mix of high rapid expansion, weight retention, and deep liner penetration.
This ammo is available in the 165 gain or 180 grain. The 180 grain load is ideal for hunting elk, moose, or bear. The 165 grain cartridge is ideal for pronghorn, deer, and bear hunting. These loads use an aerodynamic bullet than other factory leads available today.
This model has a muzzle velocity of 2960 ft/s. The improved accuracy combined with the ballistics makes this a great option for a wide range of shooting applications.
We recommend this model for hunting deer, bears, and elk in North America.
- It has a bullet weight of 180 grains
- It has a muzzle velocity of 2960 ft/s
- They are lead free
- It has improved accuracy
Remington Core LOKT
The Remington Core LOKT is another reasonably priced .300 Win Mag ammo. It is ideal for hunting feral hogs, deer, elk, and black bears. It is recommended for both soft and heavy hit types of hunters.
This model is available as a 180 grain Core Lokt soft point and a 150-grain soft point load. The smaller load is mostly used for deer hunting.
Most enthusiasts recommend this ammunition because they are reasonably priced. This makes them a great choice for beginners.
This model has a muzzle velocity of 2960 ft/s combined with a muzzle energy of 3501 ft-lbs. this makes them ideal for a wide range of shooting applications.
- It has a muzzle velocity of 2960 ft/s
- It is affordable
- It has a ballistic coefficient of .485
- It is ideal for hunting
Hornady Match 195 gr
Most enthusiasts recommend this model because it is very versatile. It is ideal for hunting or sports shooting. In addition, Hornady inspects each bullet thoroughly for any flaws or imperfections.
This means that you will only get the best from their company. Their products will deliver value for the money you spend.
This cartridge is built with optimum boat tail design. It also features a patent pending Heat Shield tip combined with highly concentric AMP bullet jackets. These jackets create accurate, high Ballistic Coefficient match bullets.
It is worth mentioning that the Ballistic Coefficients are measured and corrected to standard atmospheric conditions.
To ensure proper ignition, the ammunition is loaded with consistent quality and rigid specifications. This ensures that you have pin point accuracy depending on your shooting application.
We recommend this type of ammo because of the the Heat Shield tip, which is made of heat-resistant polymer. It can withstand the effects of aerodynamic heating to ensure the bullet retains its shape to make it a perfect tip.
- It features an open boat tail design
- It is properly engineered to ensure proper ignition
- It is an Extremely Low Drag Match bullet
- It features a heat-resistant polymer tip
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best 300 Win Mag Ammo
If you are a new gun owner, it can be a daunting task to find the right ammunition for your firearm. If you have decided to settle on the .300 Win Mag, you will find many options available in the market today.
In this section, we will share some of the key points you need to keep in mind when searching for the best .300 Win Mag Ammo. The main aim of this section is to help you make a satisfactory purchase.
Here are the important features:
- Compatibility – It is important to buy ammo that is compatible with your firearm. You need to ensure that your firearm can accommodate the .300 Win Mag.
- Grain Weight – The other important factor you need to keep in mind is the grain weight. This is the weight of the bullet. It is essential to know this because it affects how fast the bullet will travel when fired. This means that a lower grain travels faster, but it has less weight pressure. This results in lower knock-down power. We recommend a higher grain for large game because it has more weight pressure.
- Price and Quantity – Now that you have selected the type of ammo and the grain weight, it is important to note that the quantity you need affects the price. If the quantity is high, the price will be high as well.
- Choose Top Brands – We recommend buying ammo manufactured by the best brands if you want quality ammunition. The quality of ammo directly affects your shooting experience. However, we have only shared options from top recognized brands.
In summary, we have reviewed some of the best .300 Win Mag ammo. We have also highlighted the different types of .300 Win Mag available in the market today. In addition, we have gone a step further to highlight some of the factors you need to consider when buyin 300 Win Mag ammo.
The options we have shared are ideal for a wide range of shooting applications. However, they are widely used for hunting elk, deer, and other big game.
It is always important to define your shooting requirements to make the selection process easy. It will also ensure that you do not make the expensive mistake of buying ammo that is not compatible with your rifle.
If you are still having a hard time, we recommend the Nosler Trophy Grade. This is because it is budget-friendly and is specially designed for serious heavy hitters.
We hope that this post helped you to find the best .300 Winchester Magnum ammo.