The 308 has become one of the most popular rifle chamberings on the market since it was released in 1952. The 308 has so much to offer to shooters. It is available in every rifle action type from bolt to semi-auto. If you own a .308 rifle, you need to get an optic that will complement your rifle.
This article is dedicated to helping you identify the best scope for 308. We have carried out thorough research and identified some of the scopes that will help you get the most out of your rifle. We have provided you with a guide to selecting the best scope for 308 as well as reviews of some of the most reliable scopes available in the market.
Top 10 Best Scopes for 308 on the Market Reviews
There are so many scopes in the market but not all scopes will complement your 308 rifle. The best scope for 308 should be capable of providing you with enough magnification to make long range shots. It should also be solid and durable enough to withstand recoil. We have tested some of the scopes available in the market and have provided you with reviews of some of the scopes that are more effective for 308 Winchester. Here are reviews for the 10 best scopes for 308.
Best Scopes for 308 Comparison Table1
NightForce SHV 5-20x56mm Riflescope
The scope has a high-quality lens that delivers amazing clarity and color contrast at every magnification level. It features an ample range of elevation adjustments, an easy 25-yard parallax adjustment, and a handy ZeroSet feature. ZeroSet allows you to quickly return to your initial zero, no matter how many elevation adjustments you make.
- The scope features a large objective lens for maximum light transmission to ensure that you have quality images.
- It includes a ZeroSet feature which allows you to quickly return to your initial zero, no matter how many elevation adjustments you make.
- The rifle scope can be used for both close and extended ranges on varmints as well as large animals.
- It comes with an easy 25-yard parallax adjustment which makes the scope suitable for making long range shots.
- The scope is from a reputable brand thus you can be assured of its quality and reliability.
Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44mm Riflescope
The Argon/Krypton molecules are larger than nitrogen molecules thus reducing the diffusion of gases sealed inside your scope even more than nitrogen technology already does. It features a 30mm Main tube construction that is capable of withstanding recoil as well as the harsh outdoor conditions.
The scope comes with Blackened Lens Edges to help reduce unwanted glare and diffusion through the lens edges for better resolution, improved contrast and superior optical performance. It has an extreme fast-focus eyepiece that ensures a generous eyebox, superior field of view and optimal diopter adjustment in the field. The eyepiece allows you to adjust through the full range of diopter adjustment in 1 complete turn of the eyepiece.
- The scope features CDS Custom Dial System that matched to your specific ballistics information.
- The CDS dials change out easily, allowing you flexibility with different loads, conditions and calibers.
- The rifle scope has an extended battery life for convenience.
- It comes with a durable and scratch resistant Guard-Ion Rain Shedding lens coating that is water, dirt and fingerprint shedding.
- The Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44mm utilizes MST (Motion Sensor Technology) that ensures that a single touch of the button or twist of the dial activates the illumination.
- The scope’s reticle automatically switches to stand-by mode after 5 minutes of inactivity, then reactivate whenever the rifle is moved to eliminate the need for excess movement.
Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50mm Riflescope
The Vortex scope includes a comfortable eye box and increased eye relief. The Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50mm Riflescope w/ VMR-1 MOA Reticle is designed to get you on target quickly and easily. The scope is designed with extra low dispersion (ED) lenses that are fully multi-coated for exceptional image quality. It includes exposed target-style turrets that deliver audible, tactile clicks for easy, precise and repeatable adjustments when you are out in the field.
- The rifle scope comes with CRS Zero Stop for a reliable return to zero after every elevation correction.
- It features durable, repeatable windage and elevation turrets that are built specifically for dialing.
- The scope has solid piece of aluminum construction for strength, waterproofing, and straightness.
- It has a 30mm tube that allows more room for windage and elevation adjustments.
- The rifle scope comes with extra low dispersion (ED) lenses that are fully multi-coated for quality images in all light conditions.
EOTech Vudu 3.5-18x50mm Precision Rifle Scope
The rifle scope features a side-mounted parallax adjustment dial, an illuminated SFP reticle, and a convenient throw lever for fast, effortless magnification adjustments. The scope is ideal for those looking for precise accuracy that you could drive tacks at mid to long ranges. It is suitable for long range shooters who need a reliable piece of glass that can withstand whatever punishment they put it through while delivering impeccable, repeatable results in the field.
- It has a large objective lens to ensure maximum light transmission for quality images.
- The scope comes with large precision-machined turrets and an EZ Chek stop zero feature that swiftly dial adjustments and return to zero regardless of the ambient lighting conditions.
- It has illumination controls which light up your reticle bright enough to take down targets in low light environments.
- EOTECH Vudu 3.5-18x50mm scope features a side-mounted parallax adjustment system that lets you dial in the reticle focus to master even the furthest and most challenging shots.
- It is a waterproof rifle scope that is capable of withstanding recoil and the harsh outdoor conditions.
- The scope is made of lightweight aircraft grade aluminum to ensure that it does not weigh down your rifle.
Trijicon 1-6×24 VCOG Riflescope
The rifle scope has a 24mm objective lens diameter for maximum light transmission. It has an angular field of view range of 18 – 3°. The scope is ideal for CQB and long distance. It is made of forged 7075-T6 aircraft-aluminum-alloy to ensure strength. It is shockproof, waterproof and fog proof, making it great for hunting. The Trijicon 1-6×24 VCOG Riflescope has a battery life of 700 hours at setting 4 (constant on).
- It is a rugged scope that is capable of accommodating close quarter battle (CQB) and long distance marksmanship.
- The scope’s optics features superior glass quality and light gathering capabilities with zero distortion.
- It provides you with bullet drop compensating and ranging reticles that allow for the shooter to quickly and accurately estimate range and apply the correct hold.
- The first focal plane reticle allows the subtensions and drops to remain true at any magnification.
- It comes with a forged 7075-T6 aircraft-aluminum-alloy housing for durability and reliability in all conditions.
- The rifle scope has impressive light gathering capabilities, and 6 brightness settings to let you select the setting that best suit your situation.
Burris 200261 Ballistic Plex 2-7x32mm Riflescope
The rifle scope is fully fogproof, waterproof, and shockproof. It is built for rough use in harsh conditions. The scope comes with posi-Lock to firmly and & securely locks accuracy into place. The adjustment system is Steel on Steel for repeatable and audible Clicks. All Burris scopes have specially made quad seals to provide double insurance against leakage.
- It is a waterproof scope that features specially made quad seals to prevent any leakage.
- The scope is capable of withstanding heavy recoil and harsh outdoor conditions.
- It is purged with nitrogen to prevent internal fogging.
- The rifle scope provides you with a very generous eye relief.
- It is from a reputable brand thus you can be assured of its durability.
- The Burris 200261 Ballistic Plex 2-7x32mm is one of the most affordable scout scopes on the market.
- The scope’s adjustment system produces audible and repeatable clicks.
UTG 3-12X44 30mm Scope
The rifle scope comes with an illuminated ranging reticle for a clear view of your target in all light conditions. The illuminated reticle makes estimating distance easy, even for beginners. It is nitrogen purged to prevent internal fogging. The rifle scope has o-ring seals for waterproof performance.
- It is a rugged scope that is waterproof and fogproof.
- The scope comes with emerald-coated lenses for improved light transmission.
- It provides you with clear images.
- The rifle scope is very affordable.
- It features illuminated ranging reticle.
- The UTG 3-12X44 30mm Scope is ideal for beginners.
- It is a durable scope that is made from quality material.
- The scope is from a reputable brand.
- It is a basic scope that lacks advanced features.
- The images produced by the rifle scope are not crystal clear.
Nikon Buckmasters II 3-9×40 Riflescope
The rifle scope has a generous eye relief to protect you from hurting your eye. The adjustment system comes with positive-click turrets for quick and easy adjustment. It is purged with nitrogen for waterproof and fogproof performance. The scope comes with Nikon’s popular BDC reticle. The reticle has unique see-through ballistic circles that provide a full sight picture at short ranges while still offering the benefit of BDC marks for long-range accuracy.
- The scope is very easy to use, making it suitable for beginners.
- It is an affordable scope.
- The rifle scope features a BDC reticle which is ideal for both long- and short-range shooting.
- It provides you with a generous eye relief.
- Nikon Buckmasters II 3-9×40 features fully multi coated lenses for quality images in all light conditions.
- It is lightweight thus it will not weigh down your rifle.
- The scope is waterproof and fog proof.
- It does not have an illuminated reticle.
- The scope lacks advanced features.
Monstrum G2 1-4×24 FFP Rifle Scope
The scope comes with a first focal plane (FFP) reticle that is designed to provide easy-to-read ranging information. The reticle remains constant through the entire magnification range, allowing for faster, more accurate holdover corrections every time you make a shot. It has illumination in both red and green for maximum visibility. Users can switch through multiple brightness settings to find the right match for any lighting condition.
- It provides you with clear images in all light conditions.
- The rifle scope is ideal for close to mid-range shooting.
- It is a budget-friendly rifle scope
- The scope comes with an illuminated first focal plane (FFP) reticle that provides easy-to-read ranging data.
- It provides you with both red and green illumination for improved visibility.
- The Monstrum G2 1-4×24 lets you switch through multiple brightness settings for an ideal match for all light conditions.
ATN X-Sight II HD 5-20x Digital Scope
The ATN X-Sight II HD 5-20 Rifle Scope is a durable scope that is suitable for nighttime hog hunts or after-dark tactical operations. The digital scope is equipped with high-tech features to improve your shooting experience. It comes with HD image display, a built-in rangefinder, and an on-board ballistic calculator.
The rifle scope provides you with both a day and night mode to let you seamlessly transition from daylight to no light shooting. It features Recoil Activated Video (RAV) recording which allows you to capture all the heart-thumping action, even when you forget to switch on your video camera. The scope automatically records the 30 seconds before your shot and continues recording for an additional 30 seconds. The Recoil Activated Video (RAV) recording even merges all your videos together into one.
- The scope is ideal for nighttime hog hunts or after-dark tactical shooting.
- It comes with a built-in rangefinder, and an on-board ballistic calculator.
- The rifle scope lets you capture all your shooting or hunting experience with the help of its Recoil Activated Video (RAV) recording.
- It combines all your videos together into one.
Things to Look Out For in the Best Scope for .308
The 308 is known for its long-range accuracy thus it is used for a variety of shooting applications, including big game hunting and long-range target competition. The 308 has even replaced the .30-06 as the U.S. military’s sniper rifle of choice.
It is designed to provide you with a remarkable range of 1000 yards according to the US Marine Corps. The 308 alone may not allow you to make shots consistently at extreme distances without some serious sniper training. With a .308 and the right riflescope, you can make accurate shots out to 800 yards.
It would be unrealistic for you to expect that you will engage targets at those distances if you have no long-range shooting skills or experience. The best thing about the .308 Winchester is also a great mid-range of (150 to 350 yards) rifle which is ideal for hunters and shooters with average shooting skills.
There are so many scopes that are considered to be ideal for .308 but some are better suited for certain shooting applications than others. Here are some great tips to help you select the best scope for 308.
The magnification of the scope is one of the first and important factors to consider when shopping for the best scope for 308. If you intend to use the scope for big game hunting, look for a scope that has a magnification range of 6-9x range. Scopes with this magnification range can be great for hunting deer, elk, and bear out to 250 yards.
On the other hand, if you intend to use your rifle for target applications, you’ll want to get a scope with higher magnification. Those who want to attempt the 1000 yard shot, need a powerful optic with at least 24x magnification.
The .308 Winchester produces some mild recoil; thus, eye relief may not be a big concern as it is with heavier hitting cartridges. Nonetheless, you should not underestimate how much eye relief you may need. Your eye getting hit while using a rifle scope hurts, it is therefore important for you to get a scope with ample eye relief to prevent it.
Look for a scope that provides you with about 3 ½ to 4 inches of eye relief. Users that need scout rifle set-up that allows you to use your scope with both eyes open need to invest in a scope that has a more generous eye relief.
The scope’s parallax is a none issue for short to mid-range shooting. However; it is very important for long range shooting. It is an optical effect that makes the scope’s reticle seem to shift or float when you move your head. It occurs when you’re looking at a reticle that isn’t on the same focal plane as your target.
Some scope comes with an already adjusted parallax while others need you to physically adjust the parallax to suit your needs. Scopes used for long range have high magnification thus parallax can be a real issue. If you need to make accurate shots at targets at a distance, you need to adjust the parallax.
The .308 Winchester is a very popular cartridge for hunting, target competition, and tactical shooting. It is also commonly used for accuracy and consistency, particularly when engaging mid to long range targets. When using the cartridge, you need a high-quality optic that will complement the cartridge.
We’ve provided you with some of the best scopes for 308. Whichever optic you decide to pair with your rifle, it is important for you to ensure that you sight it in correctly. After you have established your zero, spend some extra time practicing with your new shooting set-up so as to easily get an accurate shot. Proficiency is the key to an accurate shot. You might have the best scope for 308 scope but without enough practice, it can be hard to make an accurate shot.
We hope that the article was informative and useful in your search for the ideal scope for your .308 cartridge. Let us know which of the ten scopes we have reviewed you have used with your 308 and what your experience was like.