If you are looking for the best 3-9×40 hunting scope, you are in the right place. In today’s buying guide, we will share the features of the top recommended scopes available in this category.
Most enthusiasts recommend 3-9×40 scopes for hunting applications. This is because these scopes are capable of providing you with enough low magnification to make close-in shots accurately.
It is worth mentioning that 3-9×40 scopes come with a high magnification power of 9x and a low magnification of 3x. This makes it ideal for rifles chambered for smaller and less powerful rounds. They are mostly recommended for rimfire rifles like the .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire, .22 Long Rifle, and the popular .17 Winchester Super Magnum.
Rimfire rifles have limited effective ranges, up to 200 yards. Therefore, you are not required to overly high-powered scopes. Using 9x magnification as the highest magnification is enough to allow you to hit targets every time.
3-9×40 scopes are perfect for plinking applications as well. This is because the 40mm objective lens lets in a lot of light to provide you with crisp images across all the magnification levels.
However, there are many options available in the market today. This makes it very challenging to find the right scope for the money. This is why we created this guide to help you.
Best 3-9×40 Hunting Scope
The best 3-9×40 hunting scope should have a weatherproof and shockproof construction. This allows you to use your scope effectively even in the harshest climate conditions.
In addition, it is important to buy a scope fitted with a reliable reticle that provides the best viewing experience. We recommend buying a scope with a duplex, mil-dot, or BDC reticle.
Before you look at the reviews, it is important to first define your shooting requirements to make the selection process easy. Read on, as we will also share some of the factors you need to consider when buying the best 3-9×40 hunting scope.
Without wasting much time, let us look at the top recommended scopes in this category.
Vortex Optics Crossfire II 3-9×40 BDC (MOA) Riflescope – Best Overall
The best 3-9×40 hunting scope is the Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40mm. This scope comes with high quality optics to provide you with a crisp vision for any shooting application. It is a high quality scope with a magnification range between 3x and 9x.
The exceptional feature of this scope is the BDC reticle that lets you compensate for bullet drop on your more distant shots. In addition, it includes a second focal plane reticle that you can use for estimating range, holdover and wind drift correction even at the highest magnification.
This scope is ideal for varmint hunting, big game hunting, long range target shooting below 1000 yards. It features a 40mm objective lens that gathers up light to provide you with a clear image like most of the high end rifle scopes.
The scope includes a set of capped reset, finger-adjustable windage, and elevation turrets. The turrets are very easy to use.
The proprietary coating increases light transmission with multiple anti-reflective coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces.
However, there is no way to compensate for parallax with this scope, which might come into effect as you use the higher magnification powers available.
- The O-ring seals prevent moisture, dust, and debris from penetrating
- The nitrogen gas purging prevents internal fogging over a wide range of temperatures
- The rugged construction can withstand recoil and impact
Vortex Optics Diamondback 3-9×40 BDC (MOA) Riflescope
The Vortex Optics Diamondback 3-9×40 is another reliable scope that is packed with many features to take your shooting skills to the next level. Most enthusiasts recommend this scope because it has a good price to performance ratio.
The exceptional feature of this scope is the premium quality precision glide erector system. This system is used for precise tracking. It ensures that the scope components glide smoothly allowing you to zoom in on a moving target.
The other outstanding feature of this scope is the BDC reticle. This reticle is ideal for hunting or target shooting where estimating holdover would be a major concern. This eliminates any guesswork in your shooting applications, ensuring that you do not miss any target.
The high quality glass fitted in this scope provides you with an unobstructed view across all the magnification levels. The lens included in this scope is clear, bright, and fully multi coated.
The weatherproof construction of this scope ensures that you can use your rifle effectively in different weather conditions. This is because the scope is O-ring sealed and Argon purged.
Overall, this reliable scope is excellent for hunting and comes with a lifetime warranty.
- It is capable of easy zero reset
- It comes with fully multi coated lens
- It features a dead-hold BDC reticle that eliminates any guesswork
Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9×40 Rifle Scope
The Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9×40 Rifle Scope is a sturdy scope constructed from durable materials to ensure it lasts for a long time. The single piece tube is made from 6061-T6 aircraft-grade aluminum. This construction ensures it can withstand powerful recoil and impact.
The high-quality, fingertip adjustable turrets, scratch resistant lenses, and an easy-focus eyepiece also make it a great choice for any gun enthusiast. This means that the military can use it because this is an abrasion specification of military standards.
This scope offers you a magnification of 3-9x, which is suitable for close to medium range shooting applications.
The exceptional feature of this scope is Leupold’s legendary Twilight Light Management System. This system reduces glare, which results in sharper images, allowing you to focus on your target.
The Twilight Light Management System also adds up to 10 minutes of lighting for more convenience. This makes it a reliable choice for hunting applications.
- It is constructed from durable materials to ensure longevity
- It offers good eye relief to protect you from recoil
- It comes with an excellent lifetime warranty
Bushnell Banner 3-9×40 Dusk & Dawn Circle-X Reticle
The Bushnell Banner 3-9×40 Dusk & Dawn Circle-X Reticle is a durable scope that will help you to improve your accuracy and precision skills. In addition, it is very easy to use and will deliver high-definition clarity.
The durable construction of this scope ensures that it lasts for a very long time, even after repeated use. The tactical design of this scope will look good on your rifle.
It is important to note that the reticle fitted in this scope helps to eliminate any guesswork in your shooting applications. This is because you can easily adjust the windage and elevation adjustments.
This scope is ideal for varmint hunting and target shooting applications. We recommend this scope for both beginners and experienced shooters.
- The fog proof construction allows you to use the rifle in a wide variety of temperatures
- It features a durable construction
- It features a quick focus eyepiece
Simmons Truplex 3-9×40 Riflescope
If you are looking for an affordable 3-9×40 scope, the Simmons Truplex 3-9×40 is an excellent choice for you. This scope features a sturdy construction made up of aircraft grade aluminum and is coated with sturdy armor made up of rubber.
It is worth mentioning that the optics are fully coated and anti-glare too. In addition, this scope is fitted with a Truplex reticle, which is an excellent choice for the CVA Paramount. This reticle allows you to easily aim at objects allowing you to use your rifle effectively.
This scope is available in a single piece design and has a nitrogen filled body. The scope is also waterproof and fog proof, which is ideal for any weather.
This versatile scope can be mounted on different rifles available in the market. It allows you to zoom within the range of 3x to 9x easily. The zoom wheel also makes it very easy to aim comfortably because it moves consistently and smoothly.
- It offers a wide field of view
- It comes with a Truplex reticle
- It has a waterproof and fog proof
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best 3-9×40 Hunting Scope
It is important to note that 3-9×40 hunting scopes are designed for both beginners and avid shooters. If you do a quick search on the internet, you will find dozens of brands that manufacture 3-9×40 scopes. This makes it hard to narrow down your search.
In this section, we will share the important features you need to consider when buying a scope in this category. The main aim of this section is to help you buy a scope that will not disappoint you.
Here are the important features you need to consider:
- Ease of use – If you are a beginner, it is important to find a reliable scope that is easy to use. You should not have a hard time mounting the scope on your rifle. It should come with mounting rings that are compatible with your rifle. In addition, it should be easy to sight in and hold zero even after continuous shots. Finally, it should also be easy to adjust windage and elevation to eliminate any guesswork in your shooting applications.
- Eye relief – This is the space between the sighting tool and your eye. You need to purchase a scope with eye relief that can be adjusted based on the magnification. This helps to prevent a black eye from heavy recoil generated.
- Rugged durability – We highly recommend buying a scope constructed from high quality materials to ensure it lasts for a long time. We recommend buying a scope with proven and tested durability. It should have a waterproof, fog proof, and shockproof construction.
- Reticle – It is important to buy a scope that is fitted with a high quality reticle that better suits your needs. For hunting applications, we recommend a duplex, mil-dot, or BDC reticle. These reticles make it easy to adjust windage and elevation for better accuracy and precision to eliminate any guesswork in your shooting applications.
- Objective Lens – It is important to note that the objective lens size affects the amount of light that passes through the scope. This further relates to the brightness of the images produced. Therefore, we recommend buying a scope with a large objective lens size that offers clear images that are color accurate. If a 40mm objective lens is not enough for your shooting application, you can buy a scope with a bigger lens. However, they will add a considerable amount of weight.
- Superior light transmission – It is important to buy a scope with superior light transmission to offer a bright sight picture even in low lighting conditions. A good scope should provide you with extra minutes of shooting time, allowing you to hunt at dusk or dawn.
- Weatherproofing – We recommend purchasing a waterproof scope that can handle everything nature throws at it. You should be able to use your scope in rainy, cold, and foggy conditions.
- Warranty – We highly recommend buying a scope with a great warranty or customer service. This can help you solve queries you may encounter when using the scope. This is very important if you want to buy an expensive scope.
The best 3-9×40 scopes are packed with many features to help you shoot further and accurately. The scopes shared in this list are very durable and are compatible with many rifles including Rimfire rifles.
As mentioned earlier, it is important to first define your shooting requirements. This ensures that you do not make the expensive mistake of buying a scope that is not compatible with your rifle.
If you are still having a hard time selecting the right scope, we recommend the Vortex Optics Crossfire II 3-9×40 BDC (MOA) Riflescope. This is because it delivers a fantastic shooting performance across all the magnification levels. In addition, it comes with an excellent lifetime warranty.
We hope that this post helped you find the best 3-9×40 hunting scope.