If you are looking for the, you are in the right place. In today’s buying guide, we will help you pick the best scope for this rifle.
We will share all the important features to help you narrow down your search. It is important to note that we considered customer reviews and recommendations before compiling this list.
Before we look at the best scope for 22lr, we must start by understanding the 22 long rifle caliber and match its requirements with the most suitable scope.
This rifle caliber has been in existence for a long time. It originated in the United States and has been used in a wide range of firearms like rifles, handguns, revolvers, submachine guns, and shotguns.
The .22lr rifle caliber is ideal for hunting small game, varmint hunting, and sports shooting.
It is fairly affordable, making it a great option for shooting enthusiasts who have a small budget. In addition, the lightweight design and minimum recoil make it great for beginners and youngsters who are just trying out the sport.
It is worth mentioning that the .22lr rifle caliber is mostly used for target practice, plinking, and pest control.
This is because it is cheaper than shooting centerfire ammo. However, you need to pair your rifle with the best scope to get the best shooting experience.
Best Scope for 22lr Squirrel Hunting
Many shooting enthusiasts have a misconception that this rifle’s versatility allows you to pair it with any scope.
It is important to note that you need to invest in a scope that is specifically designed for rimfire rifles. It should have all the rimfire capabilities and limitations to help you use your rifle effectively depending on your shooting applications.
The .22lr needs a light cartridge and a thin base. This limits the shooting distance to about 200 yards. This is why you may not require an optic with very high magnification. If you use an optic with powerful magnification at closer ranges, it will cause blurriness and eye fatigue.
Since you have to consider all these factors, we decided to compile a list to make your work easier. Read on, as we have highlighted the key factors you need to consider before buying the right scope for your rifle.
Let us get right into it.
Vortex Crossfire II 2-7×32 Rimfire – Best Scope for 22lr Squirrel Hunting
If you are searching for the best Vortex Rimfire scope for the .22lr caliber rifle, the Vortex Crossfire II 2-7×32is an excellent choice for you.
It is designed to impress both hunters and shooters who are looking for a reliable scope to provide them with the precision they need. This is our first pick for the best 22lr scope.
This scope is ideal for both hunting and tactical shooting.
This is because it is designed with the V-Plex MOA Reticle, which is a perfect all-purpose reticle. You can use it to hunt small game as well.
In addition, this scope comes with a long eye relief that is augmented by the fast-focus eyepiece.
The lenses are fully multicoated to deliver superb image quality and the best shooting experience.
It is also worth mentioning that the optics are fitted with the anti-reflective feature to improve clarity.
The O-ring seals and nitrogen purging deliver a 100% waterproof and fog-proof performance. It is also designed with the capped reset turrets that are finger adjustable with MOA clicks. You can reset to zero after sighting in the scope.
- Excellent optics that have high clarity and come with anti-reflective coating
- Good adjustment system that features reset turrets that are capped and easy to use
- Solid built with aluminum making it a highly durable scope.
Athlon Optics Neos 3-9x40mm – Athlon Best 22lr Scope
The Athlon Optics Neos 3-9x40mm is one of the top recommendations when it comes to the .22lr caliber rifle.
Athlon scopes are constructed from durable materials to ensure that they last for a very long time. In addition, their scopes are affordable compared to other large companies offering scopes with the same features.
This scope is specifically designed for rimfire rifles.
It is recommended by most shooters and hunters because it is very easy to use and provides you with the precision you need.
It is important to note that this scope features high-quality glass that is fully multicoated.
This ensures that you can use your rifle effectively in any lighting situation. This is a great feature at this price point.
The single-piece tube is constructed from aircraft-grade aluminum, which can withstand powerful recoil and impact. T
his ensures that your scope lasts for a long time without serious damage.
- It is affordable compared to other scopes that have the same features
- It is constructed with high quality materials
- The glass provides you with high quality images across all the magnification levels.
Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9X40mm Riflescope – Leupold Best 22lr Scope
The Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9X40mm Riflescope is packed with many features to allow you to use your rifle effectively.
This scope is ideal for hunting or any other shooting application. It is designed with high-quality glass to provide you with the best image quality across all the magnification levels.
The most outstanding feature of this scope is the Twilight Light Management System.
This system maximizes brightness allowing you to use our rifle effectively in almost any lighting condition. In addition, the lens is coated to protect it from scratches and dust particles.
It is worth mentioning that this scope features an illuminated second focal plane reticle.
However, you need to choose from several reticle designs like Ultimate Slam, CDS Tri MOA, and Duplex.
Other outstanding features that make this scope worth buying include the fingertip adjustable turrets, easy-to-focus eyepiece, and lifetime warranty. However, you need to purchase the lens caps separately.
- It is constructed from durable materials to ensure longevity.
- It offers good eye relief to protect you from recoil.
- It features a 3:1 zoom ratio.
Simmons .22 Mag TruPlex Reticle Rimfire 3-9x32mm Riflescope – Budget Scope
If you are on the market for an extremely affordable yet dependable scope, the Simmons .22 Mag TruPlex Reticle Rimfire 3-9x32mmis the best choice for you.
This scope is equipped with all the necessary features to provide you with clear images. This is the best 22lr scope that is affordable and very reliable for a low-budget option of
It is important to note that this scope does not offer the same clarity as Nikon or quality build like Leupold’s scopes.
However, it offers an affordable alternative with all the basic features. This makes it an excellent choice for gun enthusiasts who have a low budget.
This scope features elevation and windage adjustment knobs that are very easy to use. In addition, it features an adjustment knob for the objective lens this ensures that you have a focused view across all the magnification levels.
It is worth mentioning that this scope performs impressively at distances below 150 yards. This is why it is one of the most reviewed scopes under $100. However, targets might appear blurry at 9x magnification
- It is affordable compared to other scopes with the same features
- It provides a clear field of view under the entire magnification range
- It is very easy to use
Leupold FX-I Rimfire 4x28mm Fine Duplex – Best Value
If you are looking for a fixed rimfire scope, the Leupold FX-I Rimfire 4x28mm Fine Duplex is an excellent choice for you.
This scope is packed with many features to provide you with high-quality images and color fidelity.
It is important to note that it comes with pre-set 60-yard parallax built into the design. This feature allows you to hit targets out to about 100 yards effectively. This is because the reticle is not supper cluttered.
Additionally, it features a 4x zoom with a 28 mm objective lens to gather light.
This allows you to use it even in low light conditions.
Most hunters use this scope because it has generous eye relief and is very easy to use. This will avoid any accidents that might be caused by powerful recoil.
The multicoated lens helps in light transmission and protects it from oil or debris.
In addition, the scope features a waterproof and fog proof design. This allows you to use it in almost any climatic condition.
- It comes with a pre-set feature to compensate for parallax at 60 yards
- It comes with a lifetime warranty
- It is constructed from durable materials to ensure longevity
Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7×33 Riflescope
The Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7×33 is a lightweight riflescope that is packed with many complementary features.
It will provide you with the best image quality for close to medium shooting range applications.
The exceptional feature is the Twilight Light Management system.
This feature provides you with superior low-light visibility for hunting at dusk or dawn.
In addition, you are provided with generous eye relief with a nice, wide field of view.
However, the turrets are a little bit spongy compared to other scopes within the same price range.
The turrets are ¼ MOA clicks with 75 MOA total adjustments. The lenses are multi-coated to provide you with color-accurate images in almost any lighting situation.
- It is constructed from durable materials
- It is very easy to use
- It comes with a twilight light management system
Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best Scope for 22lr Rifle
By now, we are sure you have selected the best 22lr scope of your choice. However, if you are still trying to figure out what features to look out for in the best 22lr scope, here is a summary:
- Durability – The scope you buy should be constructed from durable materials to ensure its longevity. This ensures that they last for a very long time. In addition, durable scopes can withstand powerful recoil and impact, even after continuous use.
- Weight – It is important to use a lightweight scope for .22lr rifle calibers. This is because most .22lr rifles weigh about 5 pounds in their stock configuration. Therefore, if you pair it with a heavy optic, it will throw it off balance and this will affect your hunting or target shooting experience.
- Magnification – You must ensure the riflescope you purchase provides you with ample magnification for rimfire rifles. You do not need a high magnification optic because it will cause blurriness and eye fatigue. A 3-9x or 2-7x power scopes are sufficient for .22lr rifle calibers.
- Reticle – We do not recommend acquiring a scope with adjustments for elevation and windage at over 100 yards. This is because the bullet drop is typically significant at these distances. In addition, illuminated reticles can be too bright for this distance. This makes it very difficult to zero in on small targets.
- Adjustable Objective – It is important to use a scope that allows you to adjust the scope’s parallax. This allows you to hit excessively small targets by enhancing the accuracy at various ranges, with a clear sight picture.
- Lens Size – It is important to check the lens size. Anything below 32mm will reduce the quality of the sight picture. If it is larger than 40 or 42 mm, it is too bulky for your rifle.
In today’s buying guide, we have looked at the features of the top-recommended scopes for the .22lr rifle caliber.
The options included in this buying guide are constructed with durable materials to ensure that they can withstand powerful recoil and impact.
In addition, we have shared some of the important factors you should consider before buying the best .22lr scope.
This will ensure that you get a scope that will deliver value for each buck you spend on it. If you are still unsure, we recommend buying the Vortex Crossfire II 2-7×32 Rimfire, Second Focal Plane, 1-inch Tube Riflescope as the best 22lr scope.
We hope that this guide helped you to narrow down your search for the best 22lr scope for squirrel hunting.